7. A guest potter

I didn't feel confident to open up to the public on my own. After all I'm only a hobby potter, a Sunday potter as I call it, and there's a huge difference between professionals and amateurs, the latter being a rather derogatory adjective in the public eye.

So, I had been looking around for a 'proper' potter to work with me. At a refresher crash course in the South West of France in september 2001 I had met a lady ceramist who was interested in my venture. She wanted to get closer to Paris but when she came to visit, she didn't like the village and the area at all. With her I visited a pottery studio in a nearby town and she suggested I asked that potter.


Eventually he came to work in my newly set up studio for an hourly fee. He worked there for about a month and then got bored with it. Also I couldn't really afford paying him any more as I hadn't had any customers yet.

My very first visitors were members of my Belgian family. Isa sat at the wheel and, tutored by my guest potter in residence, she made two beer mugs... That really launched my studio into business!

Comments

Popular Posts